When you visit the practice for abdominal pain, Dr. Abitbol performs a physical examination and ask questions about your pain. It’s important to be able to describe your symptoms in detail, including:
- The type of pain you feel
- How long you’ve been in pain
- If the pain is constant or comes and goes
- When the pain is worst
- If the pain is worse after eating or having a bowel movement
- Where in the abdomen your pain is located
- If the pain includes constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, or other symptoms
- If the pain spreads to other parts of your body
It’s possible Dr. Abitbol will also recommend a blood or urine test, or take an imaging test such as an X-ray or MRI.
Treatment for abdominal pain largely focuses on addressing the cause, whether it’s a chronic condition or something simpler like your dietary habits. Depending on the diagnosis, Dr. Abitbol may guide you on lifestyle changes to reduce your abdominal pain or recommend additional treatment.